Monday, February 07, 2005

Fenty 1, Brown, Bolden and Orange 0

[I brought this post over from my Squarespace site (now closed) and included the extensive comments]

The Post below discusses its attempts to get contributor info from the 'potential' mayoral candidates. They note that other than Fenty, the other candidates did not seem too interested in letting people know where they are getting their money. This is great example of why I think Fenty is not your typical politician.

IT DIDN'T STRIKE us as all that difficult a request. This week, we contacted the D.C. mayoral exploratory committees formed by D.C. Council member Adrian M. Fenty (D-Ward 4), attorney Michael A. Brown, and former D. C. Democratic Party chairman A. Scott Bolden and requested the names of exploratory committee members as well as the names, addresses and occupations of contributors and the amounts of their individual contributions. We placed two calls to Vincent B. Orange Sr. (D-Ward 5), who has formed a mayoral exploratory committee. Mr. Fenty's committee quickly said it would provide the requested information; before the close of business on the same day, the promised material had arrived. From there, however, the search for information on the mayoral exploratory committees hit a stone wall.

Posted on Feb 7, 2005 at 04:07PM by Registered Commenter Rollins in D.C. Politics | Comments78 Comments

Reader Comments (78)

The Post has been misleading folks. Fenty is your typical politican. He may put the names of the contributors out there but he has not filed his exploratory committee under the IRS section 527 so that he can file taxes. A. Scott Bolden had filed as a 527, and I read he will file in July, which is required. Read between the lines. The Post missed the whole story.
Feb 11, 2005 | Unregistered CommenterTerry

I think the point was that Fenty answered their questions. Why do we have to wait until July to hear from Bolden?
Hopefully the Council will pass a bill that sets rules for exploratory committees, so we don't run into this problem.
Feb 11, 2005 | Unregistered CommenterRollins

Well, it's a good thing I have no intention of giving any money to Fenty. He just sold out his contributors who may not have wanted the mayor to know who they were. Imagine the backlash. I have no problem waiting for the others to file their taxes like good citizens. Orange and Fenty are trying to get through some type of loophole.
Feb 17, 2005 | Unregistered CommenterJulie

So let me get this straight Julie, because the Mayor might try to screw the people who gave money to Fenty, Fenty has done a bad thing? I don't know if Fenty's supporters were given any assurance of confidentiality, but the whole issue is about letting people know where the money is coming from.
What is the loophole? The law is not clear on this issue - I am not sure how a 527 organization works, but the way Bolden is using it seems much different then the way it was used in the Presidential campaign (where they are separate entities from the candidate's campaign).
I am in favor of full disclosure for campaigns - and am suspect of anything that prevents that.
Feb 17, 2005 | Unregistered CommenterRollins

Rollins, I respect what you're saying. It's not the candidates themselves but the law that needs to be changed. The exploratory committees were created for a person to explore a chance or a possiblity of running for elected office under a cloak to avoid any backlash he or she may get. I can understand that especially in areas where the mayors or elected leaders may be all powerful. I would think if I was going to explore a shot at running for mayor, I would want it to be private. What if I can't raise the money? I am not a public figure, so why put myself under the microscope before I'm ready? I can wait until Bolden or Brown file under section 527. They file how much money they make on July 31. I believe that money is not taxable but it is open to full disclosure. Why should I care who their contributors are unless I want to redlist them? What is the point of giving up contributors this early in the game? Fenty is a fool, and he played right into the media's hands. If I were his contributors, he wouldn't get another red cent from me. But that's just me.
Feb 22, 2005 | Unregistered CommenterJulie

You make a good point - it does matter if the person is already in office, then I think there is more of a need for disclosure.
But I disagree about Fenty, he seems to be gaining supporters, and if you read the Post it would seem like he was the only one running - he is getting far more press than anyone else.
Feb 22, 2005 | Unregistered CommenterRollins

That's why I don't only read the Post. DC has at least 100 different news outlets--minority, community, niche--papers, web sites, TV and radio programs. So I try to get my info from everywhere, not just the Post. I like Bolden. He has a really nice show on WOL about What Matters Most to District residents. I think he is the man.
Feb 23, 2005 | Unregistered CommenterJulie

This is crazy, I can not understand how someone could think that Fenty is being an honest politician. He is just being a typical if not bad politician. He tried to go out and get some credit by listing his contributors, if he was really serious about this he would have listed his expenditures as well. He is just trying to steal some headlines, this is the man who is trying to close oakhill with no real plan and has done nothing for the Howard University area but is a native. This is a shame.
Feb 23, 2005 | Unregistered CommenterEJJ

Oak Hill should have been closed long ago. It is a dangerous place where kids come out worse than they go in. Howard U. is not in Ward 4, and while that does not mean he should not try to do anything for the area, it is not is primary responsibility. As to Ward 4, it is a far better place than it was before Fenty came into office.
Feb 24, 2005 | Unregistered CommenterRollins

Rollins, you talk as if you work for Fenty. You have nothing negative to say about the guy who has not held a committee until now, and has been nothing but a populist and a rabble rouser. Howard is Ward 1 but Georgia Ave is Fenty's Ward 4, and it is a mess. Georgia Ave is no Wisconsin Ave., and Fenty is to blame for that. Typical politican of all talk all the time, can't stand on a dime and do sh..%%&&
Feb 25, 2005 | Unregistered CommenterJulie

I do not work for Fenty, but as I have said before I got to know him when I was a volunteer intern in his office. No, Georgia Ave. is not Wisconsin Ave., and if really think Fenty is to blame for that, well, that is your opinion. But parts of Georgia Ave. are getting better, and as you know, since he had no committee, he had far less power than the other Council members.
Feb 25, 2005 | Unregistered CommenterRollins

Some better. There is no way on God's green earth I will be caught walking on Georgia Avenue at night time man. That's scary. It was nice that you interned with him but there are other Councilmembers out there who have been doing greater things than Fenty has and who are not getting the press because they don't know how to work the press like Fenty. It's all about the coverage--not actually the work. The man has done nothing but be a rabble rouser and he gets more press than members who've actually written legislation. And they say the world is fair.
He has a lot of time still to work in the Council, get the experience and then try the run for mayor later in 2010. He's not ready yet. Working for members of the Council (Chavous) and members of Congress does not make you a leader. Fenty has not shown any leadership skills as yet. He has not written legislation, he has not led the fight for anything. All he does is make noise. Where does he stand on the lead in the water, now that the press is no longer writing about it? Isn't his committee public citizens or something? Can't he do something about the lead in the water? Now that he has his committee, he should spend the next four years showing leadership, writing legislation and doing other such things, and then try the mayor's race next time. He just won his second term for Ward 4. What's the rush? Next thing he wants to run for president. What is this political ambition? It's a runaway train.
Feb 26, 2005 | Unregistered CommenterJulie

Rollins, this Julie makes a good point, son. I like Adrian Fenty. I think he is good boy and good politican but he is very young. I do not know much about legislation but I see him on TV all time. I do not like Mayor Anthony but I think we need somebody a little bit older than Adrian Fenty. I still do not know who the other people are but I think this Adrian is young.
Feb 26, 2005 | Unregistered CommenterEvelyn

Adrain Fenty Loves D.C. and is dedicated to it's improvement. Age is often a indication of wisdom but it is not a determinative. Couicl Person fenty truly cares fro D.C. He has shown a willingness to put his neck and reputation on the line to protect the interests of the people of D.C. That is what a Mayor is supposed to do for the people he serves. Do not blame him for his age. If anything, be excited about it. I he is elected, he will have plenty of time to improve the lives of D.C. residents. I trust Mr. Fenty to look out for the people of D.C. others want to win so they can have the title. Mr. Fenty seems to want to serve the citizens.
Mar 6, 2005 | Unregistered Commentermartin

Adrian M. Fenty has lost support in his Ward, because of the positons he has taken on supporting Gay Marriage and voting rights for non-citizens. He has pisst off many African Americans in Ward 4. He needs to distance himself from Ward 1 Councilmember Jim Graham. He doesn't have a platform, and he isn't ready to be mayor at this time.
Mar 20, 2005 | Unregistered CommenterDavid

I agree with David, Mr. Fenty has focused on the large immigrant Latino population moving into Ward 4. Mr. Fenty and Mr. Graham want to give voting rights to non citizens. He has aliened some black voters in Ward 4. I will not vote for him for mayor or Councilmember. I agree with Mayor Williams, how can, he run the city finances, and he can't run the estate of the elderly man he was in charge of. People haven't forgotten about this!
Mar 20, 2005 | Unregistered CommenterDorothy

I hope Mayor Williams decide to run again, because none of the candidates have a strong showing. Mr. Fenty gets a lot of camera time, but the policies senseless. Both Councilmembers Orange and Fenty seem to be opportunist. If the mayor doesn't run, I will vote for Councilmember Jack Evans, before I vote for either Fenty or Orange.
Mar 20, 2005 | Unregistered CommenterMark

I see the mayoral race will be crowded in the District. As a Ward 5 resident, I will not support Vincent Orange, because we never see him in the Ward. I liked Councilmember Fenty before, I found out he supports gay marriages and voting rights for non-citizens. I don't know anything about Mr. Brown and Mr. Bolden.
Mar 20, 2005 | Unregistered CommenterMartha

I think Fenty's support in the Ward is very strong. His support for gay marriage may cost him some votes, but it is something he believes in, and I don't think he will compromise on it. And it his job to represent all of the residents of the Ward, and that includes the immigrant population.
Mar 20, 2005 | Unregistered CommenterRollins

Mr. Rollins, I live in Brightwood, and I know many people who do not support Fenty. Many blacks will not support him on his stance of gay marriage and voting for non citizens. The gay marriage stance alone has turned many people off. What has he done on Georgia Avenue? Georgia is still plagued by crime and poverty.Also, his handling of an elderly man's estate, has made people realize, he can't run this city. If Williams don't run, I will not vote for Adrian Fenty. He must have you in his pocket? Do you work for him?
Mar 20, 2005 | Unregistered CommenterDorothy

I like Councilman Fenty, but he isn't ready to be mayor. I live in Ward 4, and I think, he should focus on be a Councilmember another 4 years until 2010. I do think, he should distance himself from Councilman Jim Graham. Jim Graham is not the best person for him to befriend on the council.
Mar 20, 2005 | Unregistered CommenterWilliam

I live in Shepherd Park in Ward 4, and I am not impressed with any of the people running. I support civil unions for gays, but I don't support gay marriage. Blacks are very conservative on homosexuality. This will cost Fenty lots of votes in Ward 4 and around the city. His support of giving voting rights to non citizens has lost him a lot of support. Is he a black man, because blacks know how hard blacks in this country fought to get voting rights. No, Fenty is too liberal on his ideas.
Mar 20, 2005 | Unregistered CommenterSondra

Fenty might be popular in Ward 4, but the business community and others don't support him after, he tried to ban the sale of singles. I haven't gotten how, he handled that old man's affairs. How can this inexperience guy run this city?
Mar 20, 2005 | Unregistered CommenterMillie

When Council Member Fenty appeared at a Ward 6 Democrats function, he didn't get a warm welcome over here. This guy appears to be somewhat cocky. He's always trying to get air time on television.
Mar 20, 2005 | Unregistered CommenterLaurie

I live in Ward 8, and I will not vote for no Fenty. Anybody supporting gay marriage and voting rights for non citizens is not rational. I feel marriage is between a man and woman. As a 67 year old black man, I know how hard it was to fight to be able to vote in this country. Is Mr. Fenty black? What is his ethnicity? He doesn't have any history in this country.
Mar 20, 2005 | Unregistered CommenterRev. Smith

Anybody that befriends Jim Graham, I will not vote for. I live in Ward 1 and Jim Graham only supports white gays and hispanics. I don't like Adrian Fenty, and I will not support him. I will support Linda Cropp if she runs for mayor.
Mar 20, 2005 | Unregistered CommenterJackie

I like Mike Brown so far. I will not support the other people who will run. If Mayor Williams run again, I will vote for him. What has Vincent Orange done? I am not impressed with Fenty,and Bolden. I live in Brightwood Park in Ward 4. Most people I know, doesn't think Fenty's ready to be the mayor. Remember how, he handled that old man's affairs? Fenty's not smart enough to run this city like Mayor Williams. Fenty's is a sell out to black people on is policies.
Mar 20, 2005 | Unregistered CommenterCharles

I will not support any of the people running for mayor. I am a Howard graduate, and what has Fenty done to give back to Howard? I don't like Williams, but if he runs again, I will vote for him. People like Fenty and Graham want to give this city to gays and immigrants. This is no longer chocolate city!
Mar 20, 2005 | Unregistered CommenterBarry

I like Linda Cropp. Run Linda run!
Mar 20, 2005 | Unregistered CommenterWard 7 ANC Commissioner

So far, I haven't seen anyone interesting in this race for mayor. If Chairwoman Cropp runs, I will vote for her. What legislation has Fenty passed except for banning the sale of singles in Ward 4, and the courts have put that on hold? Fenty comes across as a too liberal white guy. I agree with Barry, DC is has lost it's blackness, because of politicians like Fenty.Councilman Orange is a joke. I wouldn't vote for him either.
Mar 20, 2005 | Unregistered CommenterKappa Man

The mayoral canidates are not promising. We need someone in office, who will not sell out longtime black residents. Fenty is too liberal. He is neither to the left or right. He's just lost! Vincent Orange is only interested in having power. He and Jack Evans are for big business.
Mar 21, 2005 | Unregistered CommenterLisa

It is unfortunate to see so many people opposed to civil rights for gays and immigrants. Certainly the struggle for civil rights in this country was in large part a struggle for equality for blacks, but it was not meant to be exclusively for blacks. We live in a country where all people are to be treated equal - and any exclusion is a violation of civil rights.
Mar 21, 2005 | Unregistered CommenterRollins

I don't think people are against gays. Gays are protected by civil rights laws as most people. According to scripture, as most blacks believe, marriage is between a man and a woman. In reference to immigrants, most Americans have a problem with giving voting rights to non citizens of this country. There is a process one must go through to obtain citizenship. I agree with others, Fenty is too liberal, and this will cost him the election. The brother needs some guidance, and he is misinformed on black history in this country. What has he really done for the black community?
Mar 21, 2005 | Unregistered CommenterKappa Man

Adrian Fenty is a sellout, like most black politicians. I agree with the Kappa Man, what has he done to give back to Howard University, and the black community. I see gay marraige as an abomination of God's laws. Fenty sucks!! He wants to identify with, the white man's agendas. Blacks are seeing thru this guy, and they want vote for him.
Mar 21, 2005 | Unregistered CommenterBarry

Councilmember Fenty works very hard, but he's not ready to become mayor of the District. He's still wet behind the ears. I can't see Vincent Orange, Mike Brown, or Bolden as mayor either. There is no one worth voting for. What are there platforms?
Mar 21, 2005 | Unregistered CommenterWard 4 Resident

It's too soon to decide whom to vote for. I will not support anyone, who supports gay marriage and voting rights for non citizens.
Mar 21, 2005 | Unregistered CommenterDelta Soror

Rollins, you stated, Mr. Fenty represents all the residents in his Ward. I am a Republican living in Takoma DC. We know, politicians don't represent all the people in their Wards or Districts. Mr.Fenty is a hard worker, but I agree with others, his ideas are too liberal. I knew he supported gay marriages, but I didn't realize, he wanted to give voting rights to illegal aliens? I think Mayor Williams will run, if he doesn't, I will support Councilmember Jack Evans.
Mar 21, 2005 | Unregistered CommenterMaury

Of course a politician cannot represent all of the people, because not everyone has the same exact view. But there many immigrants, resident and non-resident, that have rights and politicians should not ignore them because they are a different ethnicity. I don't know what Fenty's views are about illegal immigrant's right to vote.
I also don't know what Fenty has done for Howard University (I don't speak for him, nor do I work for him), but it is a private institution that seems to do just fine on its own. I do think Fenty has done a lot for the Ward as a whole, and not just for any discrete community.
Maybe Fenty is too young and inexperienced. Since the campaign has not even really started, it is hard to compare all of the candidates. But from what I know, I like Fenty and I agree with him on many issues. But of course if the majority of the population of the City does not like his views, then he won't win. I would rather him stick to his beliefs and lose, then change them just to try to win.
Mar 22, 2005 | Unregistered CommenterRollins

Rollins, what is Fenty's ethnicity? I don't think, he identifys with being a black man? His views are that of white and gay liberals like Councilmember Jim Graham. Yes, he has lost support in the black community. As a Howard alumnus, he should want to give back to the university. Politicians like Fenty and Graham want to change God's law on marriage between a man and woman. As a marriage man, Fenty should respect marriage between a man and woman. Maybe he is on the downlow about his sexuality like the Governor of New Jersey?
Mar 22, 2005 | Unregistered CommenterBarry

Adrian Fenty is a lost soul like most politicians. Mr. Rollins, what rights do illegal immigrants have in this country? If they are here illegally in this country, then they don't have any rights. Mr. Shelton a community activist out here in Ward 8, he has been saying, most of the city contracts have been going to Hispanics. Many of these people are illegal. Fenty is just a liberal white boy. Where did he get these stupid ideas? White America is pushing this homosexual agenda. As ministers, we must speak the truth about God's laws.
Mar 22, 2005 | Unregistered CommenterRev. Smith

'God's law' is not the law of the land, the Constitution is. And while your church can say that marriage is only between a man and a woman, and only marry men to women, that is fine. But your church cannot tell me what is legally a marriage.
Under the Constitution all people are to be treated equally. Since there is no legitimate state interest in having marriage be just between a man and a woman, it therefor a violation of the equal protection clause to prohibit gays from marrying.
Also, I have not been talking about illegal immigrants. Some people support giving voting rights to legal immigrants.
Mar 22, 2005 | Unregistered CommenterRollins

Apparently, you support gay marriage sir, because you have strong beliefs on this matter. If you are gay yourself my son, you cannot change God's law. I see you are a lost soul like many politicians. There will be a chosen few in God's kingdom, and many will perish.Homosexuality has destroyed the black community. I will not vote for any politician that supports gay marriage.
Mar 22, 2005 | Unregistered CommenterRev. Smith

The citizenry needs to replace liberals on the DC Council too far to the left like Graham, Fenty, and Catania. They are pushing the agenda for the white gay movement in DC. I am a third generation Washingtonian. D.C. was considered a Chocolate City, but now we are a city run by gays and immigrants. Mr. Rollins, is Mr. Fenty a black man? What has he done for the black community? You say politicians are suppose to represent all the people, but if Fenty is black, he is not representing the majority of the people who elected him into office. He is pushing the views of special interest groups. Why are you so impressed by him, is it because he looks like a white preppy? Remember, he couldn't handle the elderly gentleman's estate. If he runs, the other candidates will have a field day with him.
Mar 22, 2005 | Unregistered CommenterBarry

Rev. Smith - no I am not gay, but I do believe under the U.S. Constitution that gays should have the right to marry. How can you possibly think that you know I am a "lost soul" just because of my beliefs. I would never presume to think that I knew what “god’s law” is, and I don’t know what makes you think you can know.
And please explain to me how homosexuality has destroyed the black community?
Barry – Populations change. Yes, this was once called Chocolate City, but before that it was majority white. Now it is becoming like many cities in this country, a diverse city of many different people. What exactly is Fenty suppose to do for the “black community”? How is rebuilding recreation centers and schools not support for the black community?
Mar 23, 2005 | Unregistered CommenterRollins

Rollins, you must be a white guy with that type of thinking like Fenty? Are a native Washingtonian, and do you live in DC? What schools have Fenty rebuilt? Are you looking for a job with Fenty? You really have kissed up to him.
Mar 23, 2005 | Unregistered CommenterBarry

Mr. Rollins, if you are not a black man, then you wouldn't understand. Are a liberal young white boy? What true married heterosexual would support marriage between a man and man? Whites are more liberal, when it comes to sexuality. You must be some transplant from some where else. I am a native of DC, and I have lived in Ward 8, all the 67 years of my life. Is diversity, allowing a bunch of illegal Hispanics to destroy our and take over our cities with their third world customs? I don't want my community to be diverse. I feel comfortable living around people who look like me. Whites feel this way, and they don't want a bunch of spanish speaking people in their communities. Why do these immigrants want to live in black communities?
Mar 23, 2005 | Unregistered CommenterRev. Smith

Mayor Williams will probably run for mayor. I don't like any of the candidates. I thought Councilman Fenty was white? As far as illegal immigration, I am glad the government is addressing this problem. It's the topic in the news daily. I don't want a bunch of immigrants coming in destroying my upper middle class community regardless of their color. Rollins, this diversity is a bunch of cramp, because I think most U.S. citizens are overwhelmed by illegals from Central America and Mexico. Rev. Smith, I don't support gay marriage, but I do support civil unions. Only God can judge in the end. You and Barry shouldn't be so hard on this young man Rollins. He has, his beliefs.
Mar 23, 2005 | Unregistered CommenterDelta Soror

Yes, I am a liberal white guy.
Rev. Smith and Barry - you did not answer my questions:
how homosexuality has destroyed the black community?
What exactly is Fenty suppose to do for the “black community”?
As I have posted above, I have volunteered in Fenty's office in the past. I don't work for him now, nor am I trying to work for him again. If you want to see what he has done, you can go to his website: http://www.dccouncil.washington.dc.us/FENTY/index.html
Mar 23, 2005 | Unregistered CommenterRollins

Rollins, you just answered my question. You are a liberal white boy. I have wanted you to say this from the start. You are probably bi-sexual or confused about your sexuality as most white liberals. First Fenty needs to identify with his blackness as a black man. He is lost, because he has surrounded himself around leftist liberals like yourself and Jim Graham. He hasn't addressed black on black crime in the black community, black unemployment, and how AIDS has effected a large part of the black community. Rollins, where are you from? You have the slightest clue about the black history of this city. I am 37, born and raised in the District like my parents and grandparents. White liberals like joy, Jim Graham, and Fenty want to destroy the strong black history of this city with your liberal ideology. I don't need to look at Fenty's website, because it's not informative. The guy hasn't done anything but stand in front of a camera and grand stand. As a Ward 7 resident, I hope the blacks up in Ward 4 wake up and see, this guy is not that intelligent. If he was a bright Attorney, he wouldn't have handled that senior citizen case so badly. Please explain that, since you are his biggest cheerleader?
Mar 23, 2005 | Unregistered CommenterBarry

"I don't need to look at Fenty's website, because it's not informative."
It is hard to debate someone who comes with their own facts and chooses to be ignorant about the real facts. Fenty, along with the other members of the Council and the Mayor have helped fix schools in the City, build recreation centers, work to reduce the open-air drug markets, improve health services and bring businesses back. These activities help all of the city, which means it helps the black community.
I does not matter where I am from, or what color my skin is. Deal with what I am saying, not your preconceptions of me.
And I don’t know how Fenty screwed up the guys finances, but he has taken responsibility for it.
Mar 23, 2005 | Unregistered CommenterRollins

Rollins, you must be living on another planet. How has Fenty, the mayor, and the Council have helped to fix the schools? The DC Public Schools are in shambles. There are plenty of open air drug markets in the city. Have you been up on 8th and Kennedy Streets, NW? This neighborhood has been plagued with Drugs for the last 20 years. This is in Fenty's Ward. Once gentrification takes place in neighborhoods like this, you will see more community policing. Yeah, you see more Police in gentrified and white neighborhoods like Dupont Circle, Adams Morgan, Ward 3, and Georgetown. Remember when the white gay male was murdered and robbed in DuPont Circle? The mayor called in the National Guard to patrol, the streets of DuPont Circle. Have your super God Fenty and the mayor,asked the National Guard to come up on 8th and Kennedy Streets, NW? Mayor Williams is a puppet for the white establishment. DC is still a plantation run by Congress. You white liberals still have the thinking of slave masters.
Mar 23, 2005 | Unregistered CommenterBarry

Mr. Rollins, Barry made some good points. I have lived in Ward 4 for over 60 years, and Kennedy Street has been plagued with drugs and violence for years. I can't put this blame on Councilman Fenty, because this community was like this when Jarvis was in office. I do agree, communities based on class and race gets better policing. You wouldn't see this activity taking place in the Councilmembers and mayor's communities. I have seen little improvement with the DC public schools. I do see blacks being replaced in Ward 4 by a large influx of Hispanics. We are seeing more crimes here, in the Brightwood area, with Hispanic graffiti and gangs in some of our quieter neighberhoods. I blame the mayor, the Police Chief, and Chairwoman Cropp for not addressing these issues. I would like to hear all the candidates running for mayor address this issue.
Mar 24, 2005 | Unregistered CommenterDorothy

Yes, many of the schools are a mess. But you have asked what has been done - I drive by Brightwood elementary all the time and see the renovations going on there. The Takoma Rec center has just reopened with a new indoor pool. You just claim that nothing has been done without looking at what has been done.
As to schools, the city puts in a great deal of money, but there are many other problems. Each parent has the responsibility of making sure that their child is ready to learn when they get there, and they have the support after school.
You seem to expect the Councilmembers and the Mayor to be able to just swoop in and make everything right. As we know these are long term problems, and there are many things that need to be done to fix them. Providing recreation centers for the youth, and jobs for adults are two very important things that can be done, and are being done - you just seem to ignore that.
Did you know that on March 14 the 4th District Police had a meeting on the drug market on Kennedy Street organized by Fenty?
Mar 24, 2005 | Unregistered CommenterRollins

I see you are a big Fenty fan Rollins. I still don't see anything of importance, he has done, except for stand in front of a camera. Fenty, the white liberal will never be mayor of DC. He will not get much support in Ward 7. Myself, my wife, and family members, will not vote for this guy who supports gay marriages. He might get this support from DuPont Circle, and liberals like you. His ideas are too liberal like those of most white homosexuals like Jim Graham and David Catania. I don't like Vincent Orange, but if I had a choice between Fenty and Orange, I would pick Orange. I live in Ward 7, therefore I wouldn't have known about a meeting at the Fourth District.
Mar 25, 2005 | Unregistered CommenterBarry

Many of these politicians will be visiting black churches for support. Myself and other ministers will be looking at each candidate's views on homosexuality and gay marriage. I will never support gay marriages or civil unions between homosexuals. Barry, Adrian Fenty is a lost soul, like his friend Mr. Rollins. they will have to stand before God at judgement. I would like to know, where the other candidates stand on this issue.
Mar 25, 2005 | Unregistered CommenterRev. Smith

I thought Fenty was a brother? He belongs to a black fraternity, and his mother is white but his dad is black, so he's black. I am not crazy about Fenty either, he is wet behind the ears. And his aligning with Jim Graham is a bad political move. It is a little early to say who the next mayor is, but I like A. Scott Bolden. I've been listening to him and he has a platform that I could get behind. He is talking about individual responsibility, about parents getting behind their kids, doing what you have to do for your families. He is the one who said the city should take the surplus money and put it into programs to help the residents. Now, the mayor jumped on the bandwagon and said the same thing in his state of the district address. How bogus. He also criticized the mayor for spending 2000 dollars on a key--come on, how stupid do u have to be?
Mar 27, 2005 | Unregistered CommenterJoan

The reason the "black" communities have failed is because of the type of mentality that is expressed above. This ignorance and apathy is what has fueled the drug markets, allowed schools to fail, and led to stupid and senseless gang violence. I live in Brightwood; the reason the drug market is being addressed is not because "white people" have moved in. Rather, it's because people of all races and backgrounds are standing up to systematically fight for what is needed. No one, not even Fenty, can work political magic without citizen support. The black community has simply not engaged in such efforts and it has caused their communities to fall apart.
As for the gay marriage issue (and I say this as a black, straight woman), I think it's very interesting that the black community is so eager to speak out against gay marriage but expect equality in all other areas. It wasn't long ago that inter-racial marriage was forbidden, that blacks were forced to use seperate facilities, and were discriminated against in every aspect of life. Interesting how hypocritical this community has become. It's just one more example of complete ignorance.
Apr 19, 2005 | Unregistered CommenterERA

ERA, you sound like an angry black woman. Maybe you are a lesbian yourself or married to a white man. Most blacks and whites that's Christain, was taught, homosexuality is an abomination to God's teachings. Today a new Pope was elected, and he share the same views as the late John Paul the second. Man want to change God's laws to fit in with modern society, and many people will be condemn to hell. Not supporting gay marriage has nothing to do with your stupid analogy.I am sick of NEGROES like you. It sounds like you smoke CRACK. ERA put the pipe down, and come back down to reality. Don't condemn black people, because of their religious beleifs. As far as Fenty is concerned, he will not get elected as mayor. He hasn't written any strong legislative policies. Hell, this half white boy want acknowledge, his blackness. Screw you and Fenty!!
Apr 20, 2005 | Unregistered CommenterBarry

Barry,
Why do you think that everyone who supports gay marriage is either gay themselves, or a 'white man'? I really don't care what your teachings were, and they should not control how others choose to live their lives. If you want to live in a theocracy, go somewhere else.
If you continue to post in such an inappropriate manner, I will remove your comments. You should really read what you are writing, because you sound like a fool.
Apr 21, 2005 | Unregistered CommenterRollins

Where have you been Rollins? Did you post under another name, or did you have someone to post who shared you thinking. It's call freedom of speech Rollins!!
Apr 22, 2005 | Unregistered CommenterBarry

Rollins, although I don't agree with Barry's style, but he has the right to his opinion. I don't support Gay marriages either, but I support Civil Unions. I am a black educated woman, married to a black man for 27 years. Most black married couples I know are against gay marriage. Congress has warned the District about their moves on the issue of gay marriage, because this will affect their budget. This city has always been divided by race and class. We need to have some serious discussions on racism in this city. There are whites, Latinos, and blacks who are racist, and they have mistrust of one another. I am voting for Mayor Williams if he runs. Adrian Fenty doesn't come across as someone who can run this city. I think, he is a fine young man, but he's trying to do too much, and people are saying he's not serving the people of Ward 4, as he first did in the beginning. Some people think he has changed, and he has become big headed. We all need to get along and show one another respect.
Apr 22, 2005 | Unregistered CommenterDelta Soror

I have lived in Ward 8 all the 67 years of my life. Councilman Fenty will not get the support of people living in Ward 7 or 8. Rollins don't hate on Barry, because of his beliefs. Calling him a fool, what does this make you look like? As man continues to disobey God, they will perrish. Rollins, you are a white man, therfore you come from a different culture as black people. We are conservative when it come to God's teachings. Most white people are freaky, and the are open to many sexual practices and beliefs. I agree with Ms. Delta Soror, we must learn to get along and respect each other. At this time, I don't see any of the candidates worth voting for. Our left wing City Council needs to be replaced. There needs to be a balance on the Council, because Schwartz and Catania are both closeted Democrats. I agree with Barry, the Catholics which make up 6% of the population in this country, they are mad because, the new Pope is conservative like John Paul II. Some U.S. Catholics support gay marriage, abortion, and birth control. The late John Paul refused to move on these issues, because he couldn't change God's laws to fit into the modern times. Maybe Priest should be married, because many of them are sexual. The church didn't address the abuse by gay priest molesting young boys. I realized, gay people are every where, but many are married and living in the closet. Maybe this is why Fenty supports gay marriage. If he's gay, then he should come out of the closet? What's done in the dark will come to light. When you lay down with dogs, you will get up with fleas. In other words, only God can judge in the end.
Apr 22, 2005 | Unregistered CommenterRev. Smith

No Barry, it is not freedom of speech. This is a private forum, and I can shut you down if I choose. I don't think it is appropriate to respond someone like ERA who makes a well-stated argument that she sounds like she smokes crack. Like Delta Soro said we need to respect each other.
It is amazing that you and Rev. Smith think that everyone who supports gay marriage is gay themselves. You remember what they said about the white people who supported civil rights for blacks don't you?
Apr 22, 2005 | Unregistered CommenterRollins

Rollins, being gay is not a race. What did whites say about whites supporting blacks during the Civil Rights movement? I am 62 years old born in South Carolina. I was out their fighting for Civil Rights against segregation. I remember my dad being beaten badly by a group of whites, because he wanted the right to voted. He was hospitalized for 3 weeks. I really think intergration has hurt black people. We had pride in the black community during segregation, when we had our own Doctors, Lawyers, Teachers, and other professionals in our community. We had black Universities like South Carolina State, North Carolina A.& T., and others. This is something Mr. Fenty doesn't know anything about. From what I have been told, Mr. Fenty doesn't have any black history in this country. He doesn't understand the struggle blacks went through. You were right about Barry and Rev. Smith. I think, they should be more sensitive towards people being different. Rev. Smith only God can judge in the end. Today, some of my sorority sisters were discussing him, and they think, he has changed to many people living in Ward 4. I don't know, because I live in Ward 5.My nephew is gay and black. Do you know how hard it is to be both. I get upset when I hear gays comparing themselves to blacks, because gay is not a race. For example, if Councilmembers Catania and Graham didn't announce their sexuality, they could remain in the closet. Black people cannot hide their skin color in the closet. You are comparing apples and oranges. It is very difficult for black gay men to be openly gay. Many young blacks are committing suicide, because of their sexuality. The gay movement and gay marriage is mostly being pushed by white gays in America. Black gays don't want to be aliened by their families. It's difficult enough to be oppressed by racism. My nephew is now 32, and he says, the white gay community is very racist towards blacks. I love my nephew, and he is very intelligent and smart. I do support Civil Unions for gays, but I don't support gay marriage. I have been taught, marriage is between a man and women. The District of Columbia Human Rights laws is one of the strongest in the country protecting gays, as it is in most major cities. We have to stop comparing gays as a special race of people.
Apr 23, 2005 | Unregistered CommenterDelta Soror

Rollins and Delta Soror, I speak from scriptures. Homosexuality is a sin, but God loves all his children. I pledged Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity in 1956 at Hampton Institute, now University. Councilmember Fenty is my fraternity brother, and I am ashamed that a NUPE would support gay marriage. Many of the old Kappa brothers are upset with him on this issue. I just don't only like Fenty, for supporting gay marriage. I think, he is an opportunist. I have a longtime Frat.brother and friend living in Ward 4 up in North Portal Estates, and he and many of his neighbors are not supporting Fenty, because his stand on voting rights for non-citizens and gay marriage. Fenty can't relate to the people of Ward 8. I have been told by others living up in Ward 4, Fenty has positioned hisself with Jim Graham, the gay community, and illegal alien Latinos. They need someone in Ward 4 to replace Fenty, because he has taken his large African American constituency for granted. I don't like Mayor Williams, but if he runs, I will vote for him. What platform do any of these candidates have to offer?
Apr 23, 2005 | Unregistered CommenterRev. Smith

Rollins, you resent me, because I speak the truth. I am a strong black man, and white men feel threaten by this. I will not support any candidate for mayor, that supports gay marriage between the same sex. As a Christain, my faith teaches me, marriage is between a man and woman, and I will not change my stand on this. I agree with Rev. Smith, man want to change God's laws to man's laws. Fenty is not a strong candidate out here in Ward 7. The community can't relate to this guy. He's not a true brother. He may be black, but he wants to pass for white. It's too early to decide, whom I am going to vote for, but Ward 4 Councilman Fenty want be the one. I didn't know he was a Kappa Rev. Smith. I pledged Kappa at North Carolina A. & T State University. I must inform all my fraternity brothers in DC on Fenty's stance supporting gay marriage. I can't beleive, he is my fraternity brother? Are you sure about this Rev. Smith?
Apr 23, 2005 | Unregistered CommenterBarry

The struggle for civil rights for blacks was very different, and I don’t mean to suggest that they are the same. But they are both discrimination against a person for being who they were born as. There are parallels between the two; many of the same reasons why people opposed desegregation are why they oppose equality for homosexuals. Whites used passages from the bible to support their views of segregation. They talk about society falling apart if gays are allowed to marry as they did about desegregation. And as Barry has demonstrated, there are attempts to put down those who support other people’s rights. Barry keeps ‘accusing’ me and other who support gay rights of being gay also - people who supported civil rights for blacks were called ‘n – lovers’ – both are intended as an insults.
As I have said before, if your church does not want to marry two people of the same sex, then that is fine. But under the Constitution in this country, people cannot be denied of their rights because of someone else’s religious views. In this country you are allowed to believe that the bible is the truth, and your neighbor can believe the koran is the truth. The Constitution demands that all people are treated equally, and if you are going to deny people their rights, there needs to a legitimate reason. And in this country, what the bible says is not a legally binding legitimate reason.
Apr 24, 2005 | Unregistered CommenterRollins

Yes Barry my brother, Fenty is a Kappa. I don't know where he pledged, but the Kappa's should disown him. Vincent Orange is a member of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. I know, Dr. King is turning over in his grave. Rollins all I have to say to you is, if you don't change your thinking, you will perish in the end. I agree with Barry, white men like you resent strong black brothers like myself and Barry. Rollins you told Barry to leave. He was born here, and this is his city. Why don't you leave? Whites like you pretend you are liberal as long as you keep blacks in their place. Another thing Rollins, if you are a homosexual, you will have to come before God? Our City Council has become to far to the left with left wing politicians like Jim Graham, David Catania, and Fenty. I said, I would vote for Williams, but I will not vote for him, because he support gay marriage as well, and he's a white man's puppet. These black politicians in DC don't have any power. The white political power structure (Congress) run the District of Columbia. Blacks like Williams and the rest on the Council don't have any power. Remember the Control Board. They took all the power away, from the Crack smoking Marion Barry. I see this city and country going to hell with the influx of illegal aliens coming here, and liberals wanting to give them voting rights (Democrats), and allowing people of the same sex to marry. Rollins most Americans are against this. Because many blacks feel the same as whites, Latinos, and others on this issue, they shouldn't feel guilty, because of what they went through during Jim Crowism. Rollins, it was the white man that went to Africa and brought blacks here to be their slaves. It wasn't like they came here freely like other immigrants. Slaves help build this country, and they never got what was promised to them. You liberals always want to compare gays, like they are a special race of people. They are people who is attracted to the same sex, which incompasses all races. I think, the Delta Soror stated, her gay nephew have said, the white gay community is very racist toward black gay and lesbians. Yet this group of people want equal rights, when they discriminate against other ethnic gay groups. You and others are a minority on this issue, and you will never see the Consitution being changed in your life time allowing two people to marry.
Apr 24, 2005 | Unregistered CommenterRev. Smith

Rev. Smith,
What gives you the authority to judge people like you do?
Apr 26, 2005 | Unregistered CommenterRollins

Rollins, as I have stated, I support civil unions between Gays. I must agree with Rev. Smith, gays see themselves like a race of people. Gays can be of any race or ethnic group. My nephew is a young professinal black gay man, and he has stated how racist, many in the white gay community are against black gays.These people talk about discrimination and hatred, but they are practicing being bigots. I included an article for you to read below, that I found off the internet. I must agree with my nephew, it's the white gay community that's pushing gay marriage.
Castro bar discrimination charges expand
By Jo Stanley | Staff Writer Published on Tuesday, June 29, 2004
A Castro District bar owner, who faced charges earlier this month that he mistreated some black customers, has also been accused of gender discrimination, leading some city leaders to question his proposal to purchase a local business that serves the black community.
Don Romesberg and John Newsome began a public campaign in June against alleged discrimination at Badlands and Detour bars, which are both owned by Les Natali.
The two men filed complaints with The City's Human Rights Commission and the state Alcoholic Beverage Control Department based on reports that black men were being discouraged from entering the bars or ignored if they did get inside. Romesberg and Newsome have since heard complaints from other non-white men as well as many women who claim they were also not welcome at the clubs.
Moreover, Romesberg and Newsome are concerned about Natali's move to purchase another Castro hot spot, The Pendulum.
"The Pendulum is the only primarily African American gay bar in San Francisco," said Romesberg Tuesday.
Gertrude East, a friend of Romesberg, said she had been celebrating with friends at the Badlands bar on Sept. 11, 2001, after learning that a friend had survived the World Trade Center terrorist attacks in New York City. A man soon approached her and said he needed to speak with her, but instead escorted her outside to the sidewalk.
When East called police for assistance, she said an arriving female officer commented, "Let me guess. You're the wrong gender."
Natali has responded to the claims filed with the San Francisco Human Rights Commission by calling them a result of "vindictiveness" and an attempt to stop him from acquiring a bar that others had also wanted to buy.
"We welcome African Americans and we have a large number of African-American customers," he wrote in his response. "We do not discriminate against persons of color or women."
But, as rainbow flags blew in the breeze outside the news conference at the LGBT Center to announce the coming Pride parade on Sunday, Supervisor Bevan Dufty joined the chorus calling for state officials to halt -- at least for now -- Natali's purchase of The Pendulum on 18th Street.
Dufty said he had heard from many individuals in recent weeks of embarrassing or humiliating treatment that raised questions about not only Natali's operations but how open the Castro District currently is to everyone.
"There's work that really remains to be done," Dufty said, adding that he and other city officials were taking the charges "extremely seriously."
In a letter to the district administrator of California's Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control, Dufty expressed concern about The Pendulum deal going forward.
"Based on the reported incidents of discrimination at S.F. Badlands and Detour, I believe it would be inappropriate for such a sale to proceed until a fair and thorough investigation into the allegations can be made," Dufty wrote.
Also raising their voices were the heads of the largest San Francisco lesbian and gay political clubs.
"The Castro's not a friendly place. ... It's no coincidence that there's not one lesbian bar," said Laura Spanjian, co-chair of the Alice B. Toklas LGBT Democratic Club.
Apr 28, 2005 | Unregistered CommenterDelta Soror

Hey Rollins, I read in today's Washington Post, your friend Adrian Fenty might run for At-Large Council seat against Phil Mendelson. Also, I heard, he might drop out of the race for mayor. I think, this is a wise decision on his part. He realizes, he doesn't have city wide support. I heard from a cousin living up in Ward 4, Fenty has lost support from many blacks in his Ward. People really are seeing his true colors now, after he was elected. If he runs again as Ward 4 Councilmember in 2008, he might be in trouble.
Apr 28, 2005 | Unregistered CommenterBarry

I think, Linda Cropp should run for mayor. She would make a good mayor, and she would crush Adrian Fenty here in Ward 4. I don't like Brown, Bolden, or Ward 5 Councilmember Vincent Orange. Mayor Williams is tired, and his heart isn't really in being the mayor of Washington, D.C. Linda has the experience, and she is low key. I never liked Fenty, and he is too cocky and phony. Jack Evans is rather low key. If Linda Cropp doesn't run, I would vote for Ward 2 Councilmember Jack Evans. Yes, I am a resident of Ward 4.
May 10, 2005 | Unregistered CommenterMary

I am a resident of Ward 7 and everywhere I go, I see that A. Scott Bolden. I say, run, A. Scott, run. Man, that guy is in all our meetings, at our community walk, at our schools. I am listening to his policies and I think he's the man for the job. Mayor Williams just sucks!!!
May 31, 2005 | Unregistered CommenterEvelyn

Let's clarify things a little.
First, since background seems very important in this discussion, I am a 30 year old, black Washington native, 2nd generation Howard alumnus married to a two time Howard alumnae. I live in Ward 4 and have had a fair amount of interraction with Councilmember Fenty. I have foud him to be the most approachable, and accessible official in the DC gov't. At our first meeting at a community meeting he offerred his cell phone number to address a concern about abandoned cars in my alley. Although he will have my vote for any council position, I just don't see any reason to vote out our current Mayor should he choose to run. His impact on the city has been undeniable and contrary to popular opinion, I talk to blacks everyday who are benefitting from the citys resurgence. If Williams doesn't run, I would be willing to listen to Fenty's pitch but I too believe he might be a little thin on experience for the Mayor's office.
As for the issue of gay marriage. As stated earlier, I am a straight, married, black man raised in the church. I don't think governments should legislate marriage, since it is a Sacrament that can only be governed by the church. Civil Unions on the other hand are the province of governments and should not be discriminatory. The use of the term "gay marriage" is a conservative ploy to confuse the issue.
May 31, 2005 | Unregistered CommenterBrightwood

I have lived in Ward 4 all 49 years of my life, with the exception of the 4 years spent at Cornell University. I am a product of DC Public Schools graduating in 1973 from Roosevelt Senior High. Adrian Fenty has been a great Councilmember, but I don't think he's capiable or have the financial ability to run this city. I can see him running the District into a deficit like the 33 year old Hip Hopper mayor of Detriot. I am not a big Williams fan, but I will vote for him if he runs. If not, I hope Linda W. Cropp runs. I am married with 3 grown children. Unfortunately, they didn't attend DC Public Schools. I also support Civil Unions between homosexuals, but I too was raised in an AME Metholist Church. I believe marriage is between a man and a woman ordained by God. Everybody don't share my beliefs, but most blacks are very conservative on homosexuals and marriage. Fenty is too liberal, and that's what's going to cost him votes in the black community, and his support of giving voting rights to non-citizens. I don't think this kid understand the struggles blacks went through in this country, because he is young, and he's a product of a mix marriage. I don't think, his parents taught him Black History in this country?
Jun 1, 2005 | Unregistered CommenterCrestwood Resident

As I stated, I am a native Washingtonian, Howard graduate, and a membe of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity. I have lived in Ward 7 all my life. I would never vote for Fenty, if he runs for mayor. Fenty likes to grand stand before the camera, but this guy is like experience. He does seen too bright. I agree with the Crestwood gentleman, I don't think Fenty has the Financial know how to run this city. He might take this city into a financial mess like Marion Barry did. We don't want to go back to those days. Anybody who surrounds himself with Jim Graham, and come out publicly saying, he supports Gay marriage, I cannot support him. The other 5 black members of the Council was that bold to say they support gay marriage publicly. Councilmembers Orange and Brown have stated, they support Civil Unions. I think homosexuality is wrong, but I do think they are and should be protected under the Civil Rights laws like any other human being.
Jun 1, 2005 | Unregistered CommenterBarry

As you can see in today's news, Fenty has officially announced he is running. I hope we can continue to have a civil debate about what the City needs, and what the next mayor can do to get us there.

No comments: